BRB, Rerolling a Dinosaur

By | July 21, 2009

The WoW-internets were abuzz this week with speculation over whether some leaked Hallow’s End masks in the upcoming patch might have unintentionally spilled forthcoming playable races (goblins and worgen, if you’ve been hiding under a rock in the Barrens).  There were mixed feelings on the subject (see the lovely Anna’s rant for some very valid points about the nightmare that would be squeezing them into either faction in a way that would make any sense at all).

I know that I, personally, wouldn’t be likely to play a goblin — goblins creep me out just about as much as gnomes creep out Yva.

Worgen might have a bit of potential — I always liked the Arugal story, and Pyrewood Village out in Silverpine.  But unless you’re playing someone from Pyrewood, the original worgen come from another dimension.  They aren’t werewolves.  I’m guessing, for RP purposes, we’d see a huge influx of players who either didn’t know that, or who’d go all Mary Sue on us and declare their worgen character different from all the others.

However, much of that speculation was put to rest with this picture from MMO Champion, showing the rest of the Hallow’s End masks.  You’ve got male and female murlocs (I’m assuming the pinkish one’s a girl, anyway), male and female Vrykul, male and female… are those ogres?  And then there’s the devilsaur and the naga-lady.  I’m a little confused about why there’s a devilsaur instead of a male naga, and decided to drive my guild leader crazy with a wild NAGASAUR theory for a few moments (OMFG IMAGINE THE NAGASAUR SUES.)

So, while I’m afk writing the backstory for my devilsaur paladin (don’t ask how he holds the mace with those tiny arms.  I’m still working that out), I thought I’d make this an open thread for you all to chime in on what races you’d like to play, given the chance.  You can be serious or silly.  Make me giggle with your imagined hybrid races, or make me wish there really were playable gnolls (come on, you know you want to see things from Hogger’s point of view).

Have at it!

**ETA:  I do stand corrected (several times over!) that that bottom mask is indeed a male naga rather than a devilsaur.  I still think Nagasaurs are funnier. And, actually, you all realize that it only gives me fodder for more evil loony theories, what with the naga’s former lives as Highborne elves –  Queen Azshara.  Devilsaurs.  Rule 34.

Tarq on July 21, 2009 at 5:05 pm.

I really hate you, you know.

Also, vrykul or ethereal. Both of them are COMPLETELY FUCKING METAL.

Itanya Blade on July 21, 2009 at 5:25 pm.

Etheral or Pandaran

Also, I love you and embrace your random nerdiness. Hell with Tarq! that old foggey isn’t good enough for you.

Anna on July 21, 2009 at 5:42 pm.

Furbolg!

Anna on July 21, 2009 at 5:46 pm.

And a lot of the “worgen as werewolves” comes from the Arugal quest chain in Grizzly Hills, where they try to “turn” you, and the guy you rescue goes off on a rather acidic rant about whether or not you were “bitten”. The Duskwood/Ashenvale Worgen are certainly direct transports from another Dimension. But Pyrewood/Silverbrook has more of a werewolf flavor.

Teuthida on July 22, 2009 at 12:09 am.

Wildhammer dwarves who can be SHAMANS. That would be made of win. Or Dark Irons who can… can… actually, you can more or less do that, with the grey skin tones.

Really, I just want to be a dwarf who drops totems. That’s all.

(And boy, I loved the Grizzly Hills quest chain with the worgen. I realize it puts me squarely in the vampire catgirl category, but I’d have loved to have a character who escaped from that encampment and had to deal with some kind of treatment to prevent her from going wolfy. Or maybe someone who survived unbitten, but whose spouse didn’t. And so on, and so on…)

Brent on July 22, 2009 at 3:48 am.

Sorry to get all down on your Nagasaur theories, but that’s actually just the standard skin of a male naga. Female naga look all evil-mermaid, but male naga look like a frill-neck lizard crossed with a big fish.

I’m still going for the

Horde – Worgen
Alliance – Furbolg

theory that we’re discussing on Loregy.com on the Gilneas post.

FoxC on July 22, 2009 at 4:13 am.

I have always held out for the Naga, even though I uninstalled the game a few months back and don’t plan on ever returning. I liked the Naga campaign levels in WC3:TFT and I was looking forward to playing either them or the Blood Elves in WoW, obviously Blood Elves came in later (never played on above level 43 though) but the Naga are still out there. I reckon they’d be hard to shoe-horn into a faction though considering they are universal enemies to both Horde and Alliance. Playable Murlocs could be hilarious too.

Moonbiter on July 22, 2009 at 5:07 am.

Ahahaha…. Nagasaur. *laughs* Though truthfully, I’ve been holding out for Worgen as a playable race ever since I first saw them. The new copypasta masks don’t really change my mind on the matter that I still think that Worgen and Goblins are what Blizzard is intending to add in the next expansion.

And honestly… Now that you mention it, playable Gnolls sound pretty damned awesome.

Linedan on July 22, 2009 at 8:30 am.

That’s, uh, not a devilsaur. It’s a male naga. >.>

lazyjadexiii on July 22, 2009 at 12:19 pm.

AFK guys. Rolling a nagasaur engineer. Engineering will help me strap my ENORMOUS F’ING MACE TO MY TINY ARMS.

FEAR THE NAGASAUR. FEAR IT.

Mommacow on July 22, 2009 at 3:33 pm.

Naga would make me a happy camper, and I’ve gone on record as wanting playable worgen for a long time now. Furbolg, except they’d want to hang out with stupid nelfs and I would get annoyed with them. *fantasizes briefly about being able to roll NPC faction*

…silithid?

Aleros on July 22, 2009 at 9:50 pm.

That IS a male naga though. Don’t see a Devilsaur there.

Aleros on July 22, 2009 at 10:10 pm.

One of the rumors that’s flying around is that there will be several neutral factions that can choose which faction they want to go to at the end of a quest chain. And Varian Wrynn shouts every time one is sworn in.

falconesse on July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm.

That IS a male naga though. Don’t see a Devilsaur there.

It’s a lizard-face. WORK WITH ME HERE.

Leave Your Comment

Your email will not be published or shared. Required fields are marked *