Had we but account space enough, and time

By | February 22, 2010

Let’s say you had, in a rose-colored world, extra character slots (if you’ve run out of them), an itch to bring an NPC to life, and an extra few hours a week to devote to WoW for the playing of that new alt.  What NPCs of yours would you turn into PCs?  Or, if you’re like Bricu and don’t feel much of a desire to alt it up, what NPCs of yours would you release to a friend to play?  Are there classes in the game that fit what they do in your stories, or would you mostly be rolling for whichever class could wear the RP clothes you imagine those characters in as they run around town?

I’ve rolled and deleted Threnn’s friend Kaven several times.  He’s a soldier who trained with Threnn in her early days at Northshire Abbey, though he didn’t feel the call of the Light.  They were lovers once, briefly, and if Threnn hadn’t met Bricu, she might even have ended up getting back together with him in the long run.  Now, however, they’re both happily married to other people and remain good friends.  Making him a warrior was easy enough to do.  It was getting him past, say, level seven that I didn’t do so well with.  Also, at the time, I didn’t have much of a story for him aside from “Threnn’s NPC friend.”  Every once in a while, I get the urge to write something for him or drag him back into Threnn’s story, but the opportunity has yet to present itself.

How about you?  If you could bring any of your unrolled but oft written about characters to pixellated life, who would it be?

Itanya Blade on February 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm.

I actually broke down and made the Prophecy of Light’s secretary (and Keltyr’s mousey cousin) Fabrio to life a few months ago. It was originally just for a bit of silly RP, but every member of the PoL seems to like the character.

Well, except for Katanya who seems to think Fabrio disapproves of her.

Teuthida on February 22, 2010 at 5:37 pm.

I would love to have time to play, or have someone playing, Geoffar Lighthammer — Nancie’s husband and Ovistine’s father. The interaction between the three of them would be a ton of fun to play out, and Geoffar and Nancie have had a pretty tumultuous relationship these last few years. I’ve had various thoughts about what (if anything) to do with him, but nothing much has come of it. (I do have the name reserved, though, in case I ever figure something out!)

Tarquin on February 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm.

I’m lucky enough to have two excellent roleplayers (<3) already bringing Jak's two most awesome relatives to life. Well, you know. Sort of life. I'm planning to roll Edouard Van Rosen, the Azerothian version of Teddy Roosevelt, in Cataclysm, but I don’t know how much playtime he’ll actually get, and he’s mostly a gag character anyway.

A perverse part of me wants someone to try playing the godawful annoying Death Knight “Whistler”, but that’d be a horrible thing to inflict on the server.

Sarai on February 23, 2010 at 3:35 am.

I just recently did a fic about Pitch that involved a Night elf huntress, and shortly after writing the fic I started thinking about her. A lot. Enough that I have a good idea of her backstory, personality, even what pet she’d have and what its name would be. I may wind up bringing her to (WoW) life someday yet.

Other than that, this hasn’t really occurred to me. All my NPCs have just been NPCs. I could see maybe one of Alanon’s old friends, or perhaps his daughter, coming back as a death knight (they were both killed at Hyjal), but I think I’d let someone else play them.

Kyraine on February 23, 2010 at 9:18 am.

I would roll my nelf hunter’s mother in game. She’s a priestess, and I’ve never taken a serious stab at playing one of them. She’s also been an NPC for my hunter and druid since I rolled on Feathermoon, and I think it would be interesting to see how she turned out in game. And once Cata comes out, possibly one of Kyraine’s siblings, once I figure out exactly what’s happened with her family in Gilneas. I very much hope they give us at least one extra character slot for the xpack.

Yva on February 23, 2010 at 11:27 am.

Yva’s Aunt Meme is the only one that comes to mind for me. She’s very much alive, Yva’s father’s sister, with a foul northern mouth, a gin blossom for a nose, and she’s a great shot with a gun. Picture Deadwood’s Calamity Jane with some tweaks.

Bricu on February 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm.

Noy “Gears” Rom: Gnomish Chef and former super spy.

I would also strongly consider playing someone else’s NPC. Last time I did that, I got to play with Thomas Maunt, and that was hella fun.

Itanya Blade on February 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm.

Yegads, the whole Maunt thing changed the course of two of my alliance toons.

Poor QQ, all alone in the world.

I just sent her heirloom gear.

Leave Your Comment

Your email will not be published or shared. Required fields are marked *