There’s a big ol’ chunk of realms that will be down for 24 hours on Tuesday. Feathermoon is one of them, and the maintenance means that the server is offline for our weekly, officially unofficial RP night. I can see a few other RP realms on the list as well, which means there are plenty of us wondering what’s a roleplayer to do?
Well, if you’re missing your pixellated Hero’s Welcome or The Filthy Animal, here are a few ways you can get your RP on!
- Explore a new realm. Gather up a few friends, pick a faction/race, and roll lowbie characters for an evening. Maybe you’re a band of dwarven siblings making your way to Ironforge, or a group of Tauren going to seek an audience with Cairne about the Venture Company encroaching on the water wells.
- Create a new channel on IRC for RP. If your realm already has an IC IRC channel, it might be busy tonight. Poke your head in and see who’s around, maybe join in the conversation. Or, if there’s already some lively discussion happening there, but you’d like to have your own corner of the Beer Garden, create a new channel you and your friends can join and RP away in!
- Take your instant messenger program IC for a bit. Use gtalk, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, or <insert your favorite chat program here> for RP. Some of the programs have a group-chat option if you have several players, but it’s great for one-on-one RP.
- RP by email. Hey, the servers are down for 24 hours. You’ve got plenty of time to ping some RP back and forth. (Bonus: since email lends itself well to prose for scene-setting, you can turn it into a fic afterwards!)
- Fic it up! Is there some writing you’ve been meaning to catch up on? Some future plotting you’ve been meaning to work out? Now’s a good time to sit down and get brainstorming.
Are you intending to RP despite server downtime? (Or, if you’re unaffected by it this time around, have you ever been thwarted by an unstable server on patch day? What did you do?)